Sunday, April 22, 2012

Requiem for the good ol’ television set


Requiem for the good ol’ television set  


As I turned around to go out of the shop my eyes fell on it. It was lying in a heap, amidst others of its ilk, in a corner. I suddenly felt very bad. I had come to this electronic shop to exchange my old portable TV for a new one. It had been with us for the last fourteen years – our first colour TV. It was through it we had made our acquaintance with the cable revolution. While I had my dose of news analysis, necessary for my Civil Services examinations, from the news channels, my parents had their fill of the family sagas and religious discourses from it. The number of channels then was limited and the twenty programme capacity of the TV set was sufficient. With the growth in the number of channels down the years the set’s features started seeming to be small. But the thought of a replacement was still far off as we were not very voracious TV watchers. With time however, its age began showing. It would get switched off by itself, the colours would leave the screen or the sound would get muted for small moments. The TV mechanic’s visits gained in frequency. As my infant turned into a toddler, the TV’s remote became his favorite toy, rendering it unfit for any control of the set. One had to go to the TV set to give it any command. When I heard about this exchange offer I decided to avail myself of it. And here was I getting the new big TV set packed.
   That, a lifeless common thing as an old TV set can raise the feelings of an attachment, had never crossed my mind. I felt hurt seeing the way it had been shoved in a dusty corner. “It is of no use to us Sir”, I heard the salesman telling a prospective customer who had come to exchange his electronic good. “For us it is all scrap and the offer is just to enable buyers to move to better electronic goods”. It saddened me and I felt like telling the salesman that mine was still in a working condition and that it deserved a better treatment. The thought of taking it back with me crossed my mind but, before my emotions could have the better of my decision, I immediately moved out of the shop.
   “Didn’t it feel bad the way our TV set was lying in a heap of disused TV sets?” my wife commented as we drove away from the shop. With a lump in my throat I could only nod in affirmation.

2 comments:

  1. The article shared is very emotional. You have very well painted the emotions attached to old things. This new year, I tried to get rid of all the clutter in my house. But the moment I started to decide the items, I got really emotionally attached to everything and didn't want to get rid of it.I know logically that I don't *need* any of it, I never look at it, and it just takes up space. But every time I try to go through things and throw them out, I just can't. I think about all the memories I had with everything and get really upset at the thought of getting rid of them. If humans have such emotions with old useless things, we can just imagine the feeling they might have when they lose their near and dear for even.
    This piece of written doc really help every individual to gauge their inner sense and be proud of what they are. Such articles should be shared with our children and teachers so that they dont loose humane values. Thanks once again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sudhish ji

    ReplyDelete